High School – Teaching / Learning Assistant – (Special Education Needs (SEN)
Cayman Prep and High School is a private, co-educational Christian school with over 1,000 students ranging from Kindergarten to Year 13 and offers a British-based international curriculum leading to IGCSE / GCSE and A-level qualifications. The school is renowned for providing a stimulating learning environment in which our students become critical, creative thinkers, responsible citizens and lifelong learners. This is evident in our consistent record of outstanding academic achievements, pastoral care and wide range of extra-curricular activities.
The High School invites applications from fully qualified and suitably experienced individuals to join our high performing team in January 2023, for the following position:
TEACHING / LEARNING ASSISTANT – (Special Education Needs (SEN)
Reporting to the Coordinator of Support for Learning at the High School, the SEN Teaching / Learning Assistant will work to enhance student learning, by supporting in Years 7 – 11, developing effective learning strategies, enabling students to reach their potential in the core subject areas.
Duties for the Teaching / Learning Assistant position will include, but will not be limited to:
- Provide in class support for students in Year 7 – 11, enabling students to reach their potential in the core subject areas.
- Plan collaboratively with teachers, developing and executing individualized programmes of study to enhance student learning, wellbeing and independence.
- Develop differentiated resources to support students with identified learning needs.
- Participate in appraising the needs of students with additional learning needs by monitoring student progress.
- Manage and monitor effectiveness of small group interventions.
- Take on the role of ‘Learning Mentor’, monitor individual student progress using data provided and assist with setting realistic targets.
- Liaise with teachers over factors affecting individual student’s learning and wellbeing needs.
- Update student Individual Learning Plans (ILPs).
- Work in a team, helping teachers to provide the Year 7-13 exam accommodations.
- Develop resources and advise the SEN Coordinator regarding the need for any specialist equipment, materials and books.
- Work with parents/guardians to foster continued home/school partnerships.
- Disseminate relevant information to staff in a timely and effective manner.
- Undertake any other training that may be considered relevant to the job.
- Participate in a wide range of extra-curricular activities.
Qualifications, experience and skills required for the Teaching / Learning Assistant position:
- A degree in a relevant subject area, such as Mathematics and/or Science and/or English and/or Humanities.
- An internationally recognized teaching qualification, such as PGCE or BEd is preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience supporting students with additional learning needs in a school environment at High School level.
- Passionate about facilitating student learning skills with creative and innovative ideas.
- Specific training in SEN Department is desirable.
- A robust understanding of learning support strategies and the emotional and physical development of the student.
- Proficient in using Management Information Systems, such as SIMS and Microsoft Office products, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates will be expected to fully adhere to and support the Christian ethos of the school.
The salary range for the Teaching / Learning Assistant is CI$24,500 to $36,000 per annum commensurate with experience. Benefits include:
- Generous medical insurance
- Contribution to a pension plan
- Discounted school fees for 2 dependent children
- Continued Professional Development Opportunities throughout the School Year
Cayman Prep and High School is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of our children and young people and expects the same commitment from all our employees. All successful candidates will be subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance including identity checks, criminal background checks, qualification checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any gaps in employment and three satisfactory employment checks.
Further information about the school can be viewed on the school website www.cayprep.edu.ky. APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF SUBMITTED ON THE RELEVANT APPLICATION FORM (available on the school website) and forwarded along with a covering letter and CV to:
Mr. Karl Murphy, High School Principal
P.O. Box 10013
Grand Cayman KY1-1001
Deadline for receipt of applications: Thursday, December 1st, 2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted