High School – School Counsellor
Cayman Prep and High School is a private, co-educational Christian school with over 1,000 students ranging from Kindergarten to Year 13 and offers a British-based international curriculum leading to IGCSE / GCSE and A-level qualifications. The school is renowned for providing a stimulating learning environment in which our students become critical, creative thinkers, responsible citizens and lifelong learners. This is evident in our consistent record of outstanding academic achievements, pastoral care and wide range of extra-curricular activities.
The High School is currently seeking fully qualified and suitably experienced individuals to join our high performing High School team in April 2023 or August 2023 for the following positions:
SCHOOL COUNSELLOR (2 Vacancies)
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing an independent and confidential counselling and safeguarding service to students, responding to their personal, social, emotional and educational concerns. The successful candidate will also be responsible for leading and coordinating proactive approaches and strategies to enhance the current counselling on offer, strengthening wellness, robust mental health, resilience, the positive ethos of the school, and the continued development of strong Christian principles across the school community. In addition to ensuring that appropriate Safeguarding and Child Protection measures are fulfilled, while leading strategies to sensitively engage all students, protecting vulnerability and underpinning a culture of help seeking for students.
Duties will also include, but will not be limited to:
- Implement a suitable and structured referral system to identify, collect and collate information on students who may require support.
- Set up systems for assessing the needs of students who may have long or short term emotional, personal, social and / or educational difficulties.
- Provide specialist help, support and advice to students, and other members of the school community.
- Co-ordinate and lead interviews or case conferences which include all relevant stakeholders and maintain the appropriate communication, involvement and support of all parties concerned.
- Advise and assist staff members on appropriate classroom strategies, to give students, support and guidance for their emotional, personal, social and educational development.
- Provide written reports on the activities and services provided during the school year.
- Implement a proactive approach to educating students, staff and parents on PSHE issues, such as Safety, social media, Belonging, Friendship and Healthy Living.
Qualifications, experience and skills required:
- Be professionally trained, holding a University Degree in Counselling or an equivalent qualification. Teacher training and experience within a classroom would be an asset.
- Have a minimum of five years’ counselling experience working within a High School or youth sector.
- Must be a registered counsellor or eligible to register with the Cayman Islands Health Practice Commission.
- Must have a high level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Must have up to date knowledge of polices set by the Education Department and functions of other external agencies.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills at all levels, with children, staff, parents, and external agencies.
- Be aware of CPOMS software.
- Demonstrate up to date, professional knowledge and judgement on Safeguarding, Child Protection Policy and related issues.
- Demonstrate up to date, professional knowledge and judgement on counselling techniques and strategy.
- Have a calm and approachable manner, able to exercise qualities of patience and sensitivity.
- Candidates will be expected to fully adhere to and support the Christian ethos of the school.
Salary range for the teaching positions listed above is CI$46,000 – CI$62,000 per annum commensurate with experience based on the school’s point salary scale. Benefits include:
- Generous medical insurance
- Contribution to a pension plan
- A contract resigning bonus
- Exceptional monetary relocation allowance on arrival
- Return airfare
- Tax free salary
- Discounted school fees for 2 dependent children
- Continued Professional Development Opportunities throughout the School Year
Cayman Prep and High School is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of our children and young people and expects the same commitment from all our employees. All successful candidates will be subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance including prohibition from teaching checks, identity checks, criminal background checks, qualification checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any gaps in employment and three satisfactory employment checks.
Further information about the school can be viewed on the school website www.cayprep.edu.ky. APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF SUBMITTED ON THE RELEVANT APPLICATION FORM (available on the website) and forwarded along with a covering letter and CV to:
Mr. Karl Murphy, High School Principal
P.O. Box 10013
Grand Cayman KY1-1001
Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday, December 2nd, 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.